In August 2011, Duben was diagnosed with a unique type of cancer called Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He fought hard and was winning. He did it all while providing for his family, and being the most amazing husband and father. After finishing chemotherapy he got pneumonia, which took over his weakened body and caused severe damage to his lungs. On April 8 we said goodbye to the most amazing man I know. I've kept this blog to let everyone know we are doing well. Our children our amazing, and we are grateful for every day we have together.

Friday, March 16, 2012

there is reason to rejoice

Wednesday, March 14
Happy Pi Day
I spent the night to keep Duben company. At night he really struggles sleeping, plus he's woken up all the time to do breathing treatments, take pills, or give blood. Its frustrating not being able to help him. The doctors said he'd be getting his port out today, It will be nice to get that out and not worry about it any more. He was doing well that morning, just anxious to get the port out.
I went home to be with the kids and would come back when he'd be out of surgery.
At the house we received three packages in two days. I can't believe how many wonderful people we have in our lives helping support us. Ainsley was so excited and kept asking if it was her birthday party.
The surgery went well, poor guy was awake the whole time, I know how much he hates that. Overall, a good day. We took things easy for the most part, just let him relax and get his strength back.
Thursday, March 15
Today was a harder day for Duben. We've had so many big days this week and now its back to focusing on the little things. We're realizing how far we still have to go. Doing the little everyday things still wears him out. He still can't get up and walk around and it frustrates him. Its hard to go from being so independent to struggling so much and having to rely on others for everything. I have to remind him that its a long road ahead of us. We've had a lot of big wins, but we have to focus on the little things each day. Everyday he gets stronger and can do a little more.
I stayed the night again to keep him company. It was nice to relax and watch a little basketball and try and not worry about things. When he went to go to bed he tried laying down pretty flat, this caused the gunk in his lungs to work up and made him cough. The coughing led him to get short of breathe, so we had to get some help. They upped his oxygen and gave him a mask and he was able to relax and breathe normally on his own.
Friday, March 16

It was an okay night. He was able to sleep for a few hours. I stayed for breakfast and he was doing well with his breathing, he said he felt up for trying to go for a walk that morning too. I left to go home to feed the kids and change for the day.
I wasn't home for an hour when I got a call from the hospital, Duben had a grand mal seizure and have moved him back to the ICU.
I just put my head down and cried.
After I got back to the hospital I went to his room and saw they had put the breathing tube back in. I feel like we made so many great improvements, now we're back here.
After talking with the doctor, they said when they moved him it happened - they aren't sure it was a seizure or not. He is still confident Duben will bounce back from this, but its just hard being back in the ICU after such a good week.
I received a wonderful gift in the mail today along with this quote, "Hope sustains us through despair. Hope teaches that there is reason to rejoice even when all seems dark around us." Deiter F. Uchtdorf.
This obviously isn't what we wanted, but I know we will get to where we need to be. It is easy to let my mind wander, but I know he'll be okay. It is all I can hope for. I have faith our Heavenly Father is aware of us, and know we are in His hands.
Tomorrow will be a little better.

5 comments:

  1. Carrie thank you, thank you, thank you for these updates. For those of us thousands of miles away all four of you are on our minds and it's so good to hear what is happening. I can't imagine what you are going through but just know we are all pulling for Duben, and sending postive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duben and Carrie sending love and light your way. Not a doubt in my mind that Duben will be victorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, I am an old Safeway buddy of Duben's and have known him since he was probably...oh...15 years old. I am deeply, deeply sorry to hear that Duben must fight this battle. I pray he pulls through this very soon, and I know he will, so that he can enjoy the beautiful family you two have created. I am so proud of the man he has become and the fighter that he is. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ~Tarita from Safeway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I am an old friend of Duben's from Elementary school through the rest (Kerrie Stirling), and generally from the neighbourhood. We grew up together at the hockey rink, the baseball diamond and on his family's trampoline in his backyard! I am so sorry to hear that him and his family are in this situation. I may not have seen him in years, but I do know that he is strong, and he will battle without question.
    Praying like crazy for Duben - and all of you.
    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie,
    I too used to work with Duben at Safeway, I knew when I worked with Duben that he would turn into the great man he you have discribed. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and if there is anything I can do to be of assistance please don't hesitate to ask!!!
    I know when my mother was fighting cancer I was blessed with to have a lot of support, and I remember how much I appreciated it, and my mom kicked cancers arse just like Duben will!!!

    ReplyDelete